Support the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF), which defends the first amendment rights of military personnel against coercion by fundamentalists of all stripes.
Michael “Mikey” Weinstein founded the MRFF in 2005 with the aim of combatting extremists, usually Christians, who attempt religious intimidation against military colleagues who do not share their views. It has assisted more than 50,000 active duty military, about 96 percent of whom identify as Christian. The remaining four percent comprise adherents of other faiths, or profess no faith. The MRFF has pursued legal action against the Pentagon and the Secretary of Defense on behalf of military plaintiffs who have been wronged by the actions of overly aggressive fundamentalist Christians.
The MRFF’s mission statement includes these tenets, among others:
- No religion or religious philosophy may be advanced by the United States Armed Forces over any other religion or religious philosophy.
- No member of the United States Armed Forces may be compelled in any way to conform to a particular religion or religious philosophy.
- No member of the United States Armed Forces may be compelled in any way to witness or engage in any religious exercise.
- No member of the military may be compelled to endure unwanted religious proselytization, evangelization or persuasion of any sort in a military setting and/or by a military superior or civilian employee of the military.
- The full exercise of religious freedom includes the right not to subscribe to any particular religion or religious philosophy. The so-called “unchurched” cede no Constitutional rights by want of their separation from organized faith.
Visit the MRFF website:
Like MRFF founder Mikey Weinstein on Facebook:
Follow him on Twitter:
Donate to the MRFF: